Monday, October 16, 2006

Indonesian education

This is something I wrote 2 years ago, based largely on personal observations of Indonesian culture.

Indonesian culture & education
  • Indonesian culture places a high emphasis on conformity, and deference to those in authority. As an Australian it can seem bizarre, as the values you might assume in talking with a fellow Australian are turned on their head.*
  • Indonesian education not only fails to teach students to think - it actually teaches students not to think.
  • Indonesian lecturers who have studied overseas tend to have a different teaching style - more oriented toward understanding and less toward rote repetition.

*This is based on my own experience of living in Indonesia for two years, and also on the work of Geert Hofstede. Hofstede derived 4 indices to describe culture, and on 3 of them - individualism, attitude to authority and (to a lesser degree) assertiveness ("masculinity") - Australia and Indonesia are at opposite ends of the spectrum.

Schools

What I saw first-hand of Indonesian schools was not impressive. I was invited to English classes a few times. English teachers who can't speak recognisable English are quite common. The textbooks for English were a sad joke, and the textbooks for other subjects not much better. Producing textbooks provided lucrative contracts for Suharto's cronies, and quality obviously wasn't a priority... (I don't know if they've improved - they hadn't by the time I left in 2000, 2 years post-Suharto).

When I stayed in Surabaya, my Indonesian partner's younger brother was still at school. I was surprised by how long he spent at school, as he stayed back every day for extra tutoring. The tutoring seemed to be just extra rote learning. "Is it helpful?" I asked. Not really, he said. Why don't you stop then, I asked - you could save a lot of money, and learn more by doing your own reading at home. No, I can't stop, he said. "The teachers who give the tutoring rely on the money, and they won't like it if we stop... and they might give us bad marks."

That's a disgrace - but knowing what a pittance Indonesian public school teachers earn, it's not surprising.

But there's worse than this of course - the pesantren, traditional Islamic boarding schools, may give a poor education, or even lead students into violent fanaticism. As with the Bali bombers.

Australia's choice
Imagine what an impact could be had by a significant investment in Indonesian education. Better textbooks, better trained teachers. Students with a future that doesn't involve relying on dangerous fanatical religious leaders. A more prosperous Indonesia.

Imagine what that would mean to Australia's national security.

Now when our government spends billions of dollars on defence hardware and a relative pittance on aid, think how much more secure we'd be with more farsighted security and aid policies.

1 comment:

Chris Watkins said...

My friend in Defence (in Australia) emailed an interesting comment. I'm not sure how firmly his tongue was in his cheek:

OK, I'm imagining an Indonesia which is wealthy. For the sake of argument, one with an exchange rate GDP which is several times larger than Australia's.

> Imagine what that would mean to Australia's national security.

(Let's see, what sort of military could that Indonesia afford? And how much more efficient would it be than the parlous tool of oppression they have now?)

Ooh! Ooh! Teacher, ask me! It would make us much, much less secure! Am I right?

But it would be worth it anyway.


Very amusing... But also a good point. I was certainly emphasising one aspect.

My feeling is that the positive impacts of this would outweigh the negative, but I don't know if I could convincingly justify that feeling.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.5 Australia License.